Sunday, January 17, 2010

Networking....to the nth degree

So much reading, so few hours…

I read three articles this week:

A Practical Guide to Social Networks by Rob Cross, Jeanne Liedtka, and Leigh Weiss
The article helped clarify the concept of social networks in a business environment based on tangible positive results achieved by the highlighted organizations. I liked how the article focused on the business goals of the organization first and the use of technology second, as a supplement. This article forces the reader to think beyond the technology.

Missing from the article were examples of less-than-best practices—or examples of companies that tried, failed, and tried again. My natural response is to want to implement some new approaches in my own company. A review of failed attempts would help steer me in the right direction.

A key point that I agree with completely is that in order for a social network to be effective, it has to become a part of the company culture and supported at all levels of the organization. If company executives and managers at all levels do not support this concept or provide the tools and encouragement to make it happen, it will not succeed—especially at large organizations.

The other two articles I read were Clive Thompson on Real-World Social Networks vs. Facebook 'Friends' and Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg by Malcolm Gladwell. Thompson’s article contends that networks are more productive when its members know each other well. This premise, however, is challenged in Gladwell’s thoroughly entertaining article about Lois Weisberg. There are numerous examples of Lois accomplishing things (such as the Gallery 37 project) by reaching out to contacts that are described as “not close at all.” In addition, there are studies cited in which it is revealed that while employees may have found jobs by knowing someone at the company, a further evaluation shows that the 83.4% of those interviewed only occasionally or rarely saw their contacts. The conclusion appears to be that weak ties are more important than strong ones.

I believe there are merits in both conclusions. In my own experience at AU, I have seen where project groups’ interactions have improved as the students have gotten to know each other better. Conversely, I have had experiences where strangers (people connected to my connections on Linked In) have been willing to meet or talk with me. The take away from both articles for me is that networking is an ongoing and evolving process and in order to grow personally and professionally, it must be a regular part of one’s activities.

References:
Cross, Liedtka, and Weiss, “A Practical Guide to Social Networks,” Harvard Business Review, May 2005.
Thompson, Clive, “Clive Thompson on Real-World Social Networks vs. Facebook ‘Friends,’” Wired Magazine: 16.08, July 21, 2008.
Gladwell, Malcolm, “Six Degrees of Lois Weisberg,” The New Yorker, January 11, 1999.

4 comments:

  1. I was happy to read your insights on two articles that I was not able to get to. Definitely agree with your last remark about networking being an ongoing part of your life. I find myself struggle with networking but I get motivated knowing that networking is a craft that only gets better with practice. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the job market continues to struggle, the use of social networking in order to obtain and sustain employment is going to increase dramatically. It is only natural that we as a society need to get more comfortable in networking - both virtually and in reality. These relationships could become the lifeblood of our careers.

    You're right: company culture needs to support the use of social networks even though it may be counter-intuitive to the culture. And yes, both suggestions on best practices or benchmarking data are missing from the article. But as this is a new concept to most, some need to become pioneers and be willing to give the support to their staffs to have it be a constant, evolving way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share some of your frustration regarding lack of examples of failure. I wonder if it stems from a lack of strong goals or proper definitions of success. A lot of formal uses of social media seem like experimentation where mere use of a new system is equated to success. I struggle to determine what makes these efforts successful or not. I look forward to hopefully figuring out some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of having the social networking "don'ts"! Better or wrose, known or unknown. I echo your statments about group work. I mean, look at us now! Most of don't know eachother in the blog, but have created a community based on the instruction of a professor. Some of us might even be good friends after this. I don't buy into the idea that one way might function better then the other.

    ReplyDelete