Sunday, February 14, 2010

Big Brother is watching you...but who is watching big brother?

I have always had mixed feelings about sharing information about me--whether it's personal details on a product registration survey, home phone number (it's unlisted, so that rarely happens), or my position. I guess I was just not sure (other than looking up a restaurant when I'm out and about) that I could see a measurable benefit.

This weekend has provided the first real-life experience where I think this information would be useful. I have been trying to track down a brother of mine, who lives in another city, and have been worrying for the last 24+ hours. It's unlike him not to have called me back by now. Of course, he's not the most tech-savvy guy. In fact, he rarely even has his cell phone switched on, so tracking wouldn't work--unless we convinced him that there was a reason to stay connected.

...if only to ease little sister's mind.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Boy. It is frustrating when you can't reach a family member. Hope you finally got a hold of your brother! Sharing information is not the easiest thing. After reading these articles, I randomly googled my name and found that a resume I posted online for a class assignment last semester was the first result to show up. Even after I took it off the AU's personal drive, Google is still able to find it. Now I must beg AU's tech guys to get it off the internet. Definitely learned my lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much of a good thing can be great, but can also prove to be a problem. The use of tracking people via the internet is such a fascinating concept, and in the right hands can give a family member the tools to sleep. But in different hands can be extraordinarily profitable and a great way to find a potential customer or an undiscovered market. Be careful what you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of hesitant to share information about myself too. But, I must admit, that for personal convenience it would be great being able to track someone down. I guess it would be ideal for close friends and families. But, like one of the articles mentioned, this does come with negative consequences. I can't imagine being tracked by a rapist or someone with evil intentions.

    ReplyDelete