Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wish I could present like Lawrence Lessig

Aside from the material shared in his presentation, I thought the delivery itself was captivating. I loved those one word slides for effect. I can present, but that is definitely at a higher level than anything I've ever done.

I thought the concerns of John Philip Sousa were really interesting--the idea of people singing songs together and how the new age of technology (recorded sound) would kill that. I thought Lawrence Lessig's explanation of how we are restoring the old days of John Philip Sousa and changing sing-alongs to a read-write culture online was a great point. However, I do think that he may have discounted the entire 20th century of technology. It's true that I may not have been able to make my own movies, but let's not forget that it was Elvis who went into a studio where he was going to pay to make a recording (supposedly for his mother). Here was a teenager from humble beginnings in Tupelo, Miss, who had "read-write" access (even if he had to pay). Sure it's easier now, but it didn't all start on January 1, 2000.

4 comments:

  1. Likes:His slides. How he ended the presentation to tie it all together - simple and to the point.
    Dislike: The guy who asked the first question..so long to get to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on a read-write culture is awesome. I love Elvis and would never have made the association. Souza had merit in his statement - when was the last time you sat around and sang folk songs with your friends/family/anyone? Yet, the spread of music through the use of technology has created COUNTLESS genres of music and make the possibilities of those around us endless. Who would have thought that the Winter Olympics theme song would have been a reggae fusion created by a Chasidic Jew from Brooklyn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good presentations are an art form… among other struggles, a balance in read-write, if you will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, he is an excellent presenter. i could learn a thing or two from him as well. i'm taking a communications class now, and we have to critique different speakers. if there is one thing i would critique, it would be the moving slides. sometimes they were not really in sync with his words, and that threw me at times. but, overall, he was grrreat!

    ReplyDelete