Friday, February 26, 2010

How can I keep my second life going when I can barely keep up with the first?

I have to confess, I was a little skeptical creating my avatar and going through the lab planned for next week. (As I'll be "teleporting" to another country next week, I got a little head start.) I admit it was fun flying through the air and teleporting to new locations. It was also a little lonely. Aside from my two friends who will also miss next week's class, I ran into very few people.

So what was the point?

I think it would have been useful had I read this article by Randall Hand first or this article by Grace Patuwo. The idea of using it for a classroom (although someone is going to have to teach me how to sit down if that is the case) or for interviewing someone as this YouTube video showed, is really intriguing.

There definitely looks like more potential out of Second Life than just playing with your avatar, though I understand shopping for your avatar in the virtual world is a business that is taking off into the billions. Imagine that. Come to think of it, I was not that thrilled with the dress I was wearing...and I could have used some accessories. I may just go back to explore.

4 comments:

  1. Julie I felt the same way about being confused about Second Life! Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I also agree with you about Randall Hand's article. After reading Hand's article, I definitely got a better grasp on Second Life. Should be an interesting class on Thursday - hope you have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am interested. Do you think if you create a bad avatar, it effects the way you view Second Life. Man, I need to get on my design and soon! Also, love the title! Hope to see you the second part of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the title.

    Second Life is fascinating as a whole (World of Warcraft at least has a purpose). People just get on there and explore? Seems crazy to me. We'll just have to wait until Thursday to figure it out. But the potential it poses is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Julie, you and were both confused at the same time. i think I was more frustrated than confused, though. One thing I must say is that Second Life is fascinating. But, for me, bring about the more practical aspects, like classroom learning, would be beneficial if a lot more people knew about it. I sure didn't.

    ReplyDelete